A few weeks ago I got the chance to go to Cocoa Beach with my Mom. It was right after New Years and we were in the middle of a cold front, so there was definitely no swimming involved. But it was still so wonderful and peaceful. Anyways, here are a 5 things that piqued my interest recently.
- Lately my friend Carrie and I have been getting more and more interested in natural beauty products. There are so many toxins in my usual common-brand skin care, hair products, and make-up. After reading up on it a bit, I was more motivated to try and phase out some of the more toxic products I use for a more natural alternative. Natural nail polish is my first attempt. I found a Pacifica 7 Free nail polish at Whole Foods for $8.99. While I don’t usually pay this much for nail polish, it is actually one of the more affordable options I’ve found, so I went for it. So far so good, but I’m only on day 3 of its use. This site helped me understand the difference between different natural nail polish alternatives, and some vetted options.
- In the same vein, I heard recently that CVS is planning to eliminate airbrushing and retouching to the ads for their beauty products. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen ads showing models with the perfect body/skin/hair and felt discouraged inside that I could never attain it. I’m impressed that CVS is doing their part to limit the pressure society has put on women to look this way. You can read about it here.
- This year our church, Pine Ridge Church, is reading through the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs together using a reading plan. Eric and I have been going through each day’s readings early in the morning before work. Its been a great start to our day, and doing it together keeps us accountable. I’m thankful for the direction this reading plan provides for our devotional time.
- This week I rediscovered this song by Young The Giants. It has been on repeat ever since, and I think it might be annoying Eric 😉
- Our apartment complex is currently in the middle of painting the buildings. As a result all of our balcony plants have been living inside with us for the past couple days and I am LOVING having all these plants around. Its like living in a garden. It will be sad when they get moved back outside so I might have to compensate with a couple indoor plants. Turns out these can actually help reduce respiratory systems, eye irritation, and headaches (win-win situation).